Thursday 16 September 2010

Technology - great when it works...

...utterly infuriating when it doesn't.

My work PC - my Quad Core, which wasn't bloody cheap either - has never been right since the day I got it, and it's been fussy in waves. Sometimes it's been a real git and other times it has worked just fine (and more than once it has appeared to be fixed), but it seems to have really gone off the deep end now and is essentially a very expensive paper weight right now.


"Fury" is how I'd describe my response, as well as the phrase "most inconvenient" (to be polite).


For anyone interested, the spec of the rig is as follows:

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows XP

MOTHERBOARD:
nForce 780i

PROCESSOR:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

RAM:
3gb (a 4th gb card was installed in January 2009 when it was thought that the RAM, or balance thereof, might be causing the freeze-ups ... but this didn't solve anything)

GRAPHICS CARD:
nVidia GTX 260 (896mb)

HARD-DRIVES:
2x 250gb

OTHER DETAILS:
1000w PSU
Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme

Hopefully I can find someone who knows their stuff about Quad Cores to fix this, once-and-for-all, ASAP ... because right now it's a ruddy piss-take.

No comments: